So the Annus Horribilis of 2008 is almost over – and I don’t think there will be many Gooners who lament its parting.
Rarely can there be such a disappointing year in Arsenal’s history.
Forgotten how much has gone wrong?
• Eduardo’s bone-shattering injury which effectively ended our title challenge
• Dubious penalties awarded
o Birmingham away PL (Clichy)
o Liverpool away CL (Toure)
• Penalties not given
o Liverpool home CL (Kuyt on Hleb)
• The departure of Mathieu Flamini after arguably proving to be our best performer of the season AND the sale of his most obvious replacement, Gilberto
• The sale of Alexander Hleb to Barcelona - future possible Champions League opponents
• The year-long absence of the experienced and skilful Tomas Rosicky. Will he ever return and play injury-free for us?
• Niggling injuries and medium term absences to key creative players such as Cesc Fabregas and Theo Walcott
• The collapse in form of Kolo Toure upon his return from the African Nations’ Cup, capped by a bout of malaria which seems to continue to hamper him
• The mental breakdown/diabolical PR by club Captain William Gallas which hampered the already frail confidence of his young team-mates
• The recurring summer soap opera of one of our top players being touted with a move away from the club, and refusing to state outright that he was 100% committed. Thanks for the reassurance, Adebayor
Can you think of any more? Then feel free to share them using our comments function below.
Happy New Year fellow Addicts.